My heart leaps up when I behold a rainbow in the sky.

Friday, May 1, 2009

An Appeal

Bloodshed, affray, mud slinging…something will never change in west Bengal. Year after year it’s the same story. Today is the third phase of election in Bengal & as expected this years voting picture is all same (even more spiteful). But Why? My question is why can’t we vote for somebody of our choice? Why can’t we vote freely? Why there is always a halo of trepidation hangs over our head to vote for the symbol we like?

It’s intolerable to see these two big cats sizing each other every time in Bengal. These things need to come to an end. How much will we gonna take? We need something gigantic this time…big enough to rejuvenate our dying hope. This year at last I managed to get my voter id card & this is the first year I will vote. But believe me I’m a bit scared…scared to go oppose of the ruling party of my local area. I mean, it’s easy to put forward your thoughts & opinions in blogs but when it comes to real action you have to think about many other consequences.

I want a change in my city…a change in my state…a change in my country. A change doesn’t necessarily mean supporting a political party over another, that’s sheer political issue & I’m not interested to get myself involved into this prattle (believe me I’m not very good in that either). What I need is a change in the whole system…& a system includes all of us…you, me & our surrounding. If we can’t change ourselves we won’t be able to build a better future for us…for our family. When there is any bomb blast, people die…we suddenly become over active in both of our words & actions…we protest, we accuse…& then we forget, we compromise! Year after year same picture, same story, same tradition. We say 'is desh ka kuch nahin hoga' & we escape. Either we vote for a symbol we don’t support or even better we ‘don’t’ vote. This is what we do & then at time of crisis we put all our blame on the people in power.

How cliché it may sound but it’s only ‘us’ who can bring a change in the country. If you take the first step the crowd will follow you. I’ll try to get over with my fear & will vote for the party I support whatever consequence it may bring because no one can stop me to use my franchise power…what will you gonna do?

1 comment:

Jeet said...

Read your words 10 times before posting my comment. Actually I was thinking about the same thing that you explained here, for quite a long time. And when I saw your post today I really felt good. Thanks for your effort. My situation is very much like yours. But this time I'm gonna stand up against it. I'm going to push it back hard. Yes we see everything that is going wrong, yes we talk about it and yes after sometime we forget it. Really need to change this attitude or I must say our habit. We need to rise up and beat the evil force. Standing at a distance would never solve anything. So I understood that a little change in our side could bring a big change in the picture. Let me write my last lines quoting from a lovely song of John Meyer.

"one day our generation
is gonna rule the population
so we keep on waiting
waiting on the world to change..."